wrap it up b
It's the end of the year, a lot of shit has happened and I don't get to talk to everyone nearly enough. So it's time for me to start making some best and worst of lists. We'll start with the worst (of course).
Worst shows I went to in 2006 (in no particular order)
- 120 Days - @ Sin-E, CMJ 11/2/06 - (ref) - These guys force the ultimate question: can you still like a band when you think the members are a bunch of douches? No matter what the answer to that question is, there is no doubt that their show totally blew, but I have a thing for bands that rip of the Revenge of the Nerds Lamda Lamda Lamda carnival performance song. No one rocks it like goose.
- TV on the Radio - ACL, 9/16/06 - I'm not sure what happened to my ACL post, but fuck did these guys suck. Easily the most disappointing show I saw this year, simply because I was so excited about seeing them. Their album is fantastic, but jesus they sounded horrible live at ACL.
- Ween - ACL, 9/17/06 - I didn't have high hopes for Ween, but they still managed to disappoint.
- The Shins - Stubb's, 9/15/06 - I should probably cut the Shins a break because I was absolutely exhausted by the time I got to their night show. Something about drinking in the hot sun all day that will take the life out of you. Who knew?
- Siren Music Festival - Village Voice event at Coney Island - some music blogger stated that people should prepare themselves for the torture that is Siren Music Festival and damn if he wasn't right. The festival was terrible. The setup was bad, the sound was horrible, the weather didn't cooperate. The good part is that the lineup is awesome and it's free. I think that's how so many people get suckered into going every year. I don't plan on making that mistake again. And I'm a sucker for free. It was that bad.
Now someone will likely remind me that I blabbered on about a show (not on this list) that totally sucked. Don't get me wrong, I hate most everything, but these are the standouts. Exceptionally bad. Yeah.
Edit: I completely forgot to mention another CMJ show that totally blew:
- Gang Gang Dance - @ Webster Hall, CMJ 11/2/2006 - My head is starting to hurt just thinking about that girl and the fucking delay on her vocals. Painful. Like the background music in a B horror movie. Played backwards. Sung by Wing. Ouch.